Thursday, September 13, 2007

That's a big bat


I have an uncle who is a huge baseball fan and today I took him to the Louisville Slugger bat factory and museum in Louisville, KY. This is where they make the wooden bats and give tours of the factory. They have been making bats since the 1800's so there is a lot of memorabilia there. We spent about 2 hours for the tour, a movie, and exploring the museum.

I'm not that big of a baseball fan so my enjoyment came from the mode of transportation. You see Louisville, KY is about 5 hours by car from my house but my uncle lives down state, about 2 hours from my house. So I would have had to drive 2 hours to pick up my uncle then drive another 4 and a half hours to Louisville. This also would have required an overnight stay. So what did we do instead, what anyone with a pilots license would do, I flew. I left my house at 6am and was home by 7pm. A 45 minute flight to pick up my uncle and then an hour and 45 minute flight to Louisville. Not the cheapest way to go but a lot more efficient and fun.

This was my longest cross country thus far and was a perfect flight. Glass smooth on the way there in the morning at 7500 feet. On the return trip the afternoon bumps were active but at 6500 feet it smoothed out.

My uncle got to see the museum and I got some more cross-country time under my belt. All in a day.

No comments: