Monday, February 4, 2008

This is SPAM (Not)

AOL has an interesting email feedback feature for organizations to use in order to see which messages AOL users are tagging as spam from your domain. I have had this enabled for our domain for some time and it is interesting to see that every message tagged as SPAM by an AOL user is legitimate e-mail. The e-mail is either a response to an e-mail the AOL user originally sent or was a legitimate e-mail between 2 people that obviously know each other. This shows that people have no idea what the This is SPAM button is really for. Most use it for a quick trash button. I'm not sure what this feature looks like in AOL mail but it must not be explained very well.

So far AOL hasn't taken any action against our domain because of these false reports but I feel it is only a matter of time. ISP using this tactic need to explain the ramifications better to their users.

Today I get this message on our SMTP servers:
(host f.mx.mail.yahoo.com[209.191.88.247] refused to talk to me: 421 4.7.0 [TS01] Messages from (IP address) temporarily deferred due to user complaints - 4.16.55.1; see http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421-ts01.html)

What can I do about this? Fill out a form and hope someone gets back to me. Evidently some Yahoo users have marked messages from us as SPAM or we have exceeded some message limit from our SMTP server. Again, based on the AOL feedback, I suspect the majority of these messages marked as SPAM are false.

1 comment:

Dirky said...

I have problems with AOL tagging my emails as spam very often. I don't think its anything the AOL users are doing at their end in my case, just overly anal spam filtering on AOL's part I guess.
Basically they suck!