Friday, July 18, 2008

The 30 minute Major Server Upgrade

I upgraded our Domino administration server to Domino 8.0.1 last night. This is the first production server to be upgraded to the R8 code. It took all of 30 minutes to accomplish. The title says Major Upgrade which it is in terms of features but not in terms of administrator time or down time.

I followed the IBM technote on upgrading from R7 to R8 except I didn’t see the need to run fixup, updall and compact on every single database on the server. Since this can be done while the server is online for non system databases I figured it could be done after the upgrade. Compact is run weekly and Updall run nightly anyway. So, I put together the batch files below. One to run prior to the upgrade and one for after. They take care of running the recommended utilities against the system databases. It took a while to compact statrep since it is 1 GB in size. I’ve been attending too many of Andy’s statistics presentations.

Since our Domino directory already had the 8.0.1 design applied a couple months ago I didn’t run the designer task for names.nsf. When you start the R8 server for the first time it will automatically upgrade events4 and ddm databases. So the only design update I ran outside of the server was for AdminP.

*** A warning about templates ***
If your users replicate their personal address books to the server for access by assistants or BES, delete pernames.ntf. If you don’t and replicate templates, all your users will get the R8 personal address book if they inherit from the standard template. This happened to me so a lot of people (not everyone) got a taste of the R8 PNAB. It works for the most part in an R7 client and people liked the look of it. Unfortunately we are converting it back now. Obviously you should remove any other standard templates you use and don’t want the databases upgraded just yet. I wish IBM would treat the pernames.ntf like the mail template. Make a separate pernames7.ntf, pernames8.ntf, etc...

Upgrade Scripts

Pre-Upgrade.bat
@echo off

c:
cd \Lotus\domino
nfixup names.nsf -f -v -l
nfixup admin4.nsf -f -v -l
nfixup events4.nsf -f -v -l
nfixup statrep.nsf -f -v -l
nfixup catalog.nsf -f -v -l
nfixup ddm.nsf -f -v -l

ncompact names.nsf -c -i
ncompact admin4.nsf -c -i
ncompact events4.nsf -c -i
ncompact statrep.nsf -c -i
ncompact catalog.nsf -c -i
ncompact ddm.nsf -c -i

echo Pre-upgrade process complete.

Post-Upgrade.bat
@echo off

c:
cd \Lotus\domino
ndesign -f admin4.nsf

nfixup names.nsf -f -v -l
nfixup admin4.nsf -f -v -l

ncompact names.nsf -c -i
ncompact admin4.nsf -c -i

nupdall names.nsf -RX
nupdall admin4.nsf -RX

echo Post-upgrade process complete.

3 comments:

Chris Whisonant said...

this is what indirect files are for... :) Glad the upgrade went smoothly!

Stuart Bogom said...

Agreed on pernames.ntf....I use roaming clients and I was suprised the morning after the server upgrade to find that everyone's address book had been upgraded. No negative effects, but it would have been nice to have a warning in the upgrade instructions.

Kevin Kanarski said...

Guess I should start using IND files. I just took these scripts from our monthly maintenance script and modified them. On the admin server the monthly maintenance script keeps growing.