Sunday, October 12, 2008

Flight Log: Birthday Flight

I took my daughter for a flight in the Cessna today. It’s her 8th birthday today and my 38th birthday on Tuesday. So this was a combined birthday flight. It was an unusually warm day for October in Chicago. It was 80+ degrees on the ground so nature’s air conditioning at 5500’ felt good. We flew to Whiteside County airport (KSQI) just because I haven’t been there before and it qualifies for cross country time. We saw the trees changing colors from above and the progression of clean energy in the way of many wind turbines. I made a picture perfect landing on the mains and held the nose wheel off as long as possible.

When we parked at Whiteside Co. airport I noticed cars speeding around the tarmac. It turns out there was an SCCA race going on. They had orange cones outlining a track and members were doing time trials with their everyday cars. There were Miatas, Mustangs, Nissan Zs, and others. There was a lot of tire shredding going on with the tight turns.

On the way back to our home airport we were just below the lightly scattered clouds. It was almost like you could reach out and touch them. It was another good flight and always nice to get some practice in. Hopefully I won’t get into a drought this winter.

No comments: